Tuesday 28 August 2007

Bank holiday weekends


We've just had our last proper bank holiday weekend in the U.K. until Christmas. I used to love bank holiday weekends when I was young free and single. My friends and I would go to Saddler Gate in Derby where they used to do games during the days, you'd meet old friends you hadn't seen in years and catch up.
Now I'm married I don't get to do fun things like drink far too much larger and stay out clubbing till 5am.
Instead I get to go to B&Q and buy building sand and gorgeous tubs of snap dragons for £1.50 off the reduced stand. Not that I mind really, I got to spend the day with my hubby and also got my new raised flower beds finished so next weekend I can fill them with soil and I'll have a proper garden at last.
It just shows how your outlook changes as you get older. All I want now is a finished house and garden where I can entertain in a tea dress, while passing round cucumber sandwiches (no crusts). Well maybe I'm not that quite grown up yet.
For some reason I've not really done that much crafting since my last post. I think I've just been waiting for some time off from work and a few late mornings in bed.
I have however been EBay shopping and bought far to many ribbons in a fit of madness. I'm not quite sure what it is I'm going to do with them but they looked so pretty I couldn't stop myself.

I have used some of the fine ones to make some button bracelets, I may use some as detailing on my knitted bags. I've got a very wide yellow spotty one which is begging to be used as a huge bow on a knitted creation.

I discovered some baby blue mohair at the back of my stash on Friday night which was begging to be turned into a felted scarf. I've included a picture pre-felting below next week I'll show you the finished project.

I'm planning on starting to list my scarfs next week on Etsy, one every other day. Autumn approaches so fast and even through we've had lovely weather all weekend, I have found myself thinking of Christmas and what I'll be buying as gifts.

I've found a really good blog via Flickr that gives really good hints and tips on how to promote and list things in your Etsy shop which now I'll be following to the letter.Here is the link all the hints are on the right hand side. http://littleput.blogspot.com/

Well back to my baby blue mohair I had just enough left to make a small bag before the cone of yarn ran out. This could be the bag for the pale yellow ribbon.

I hate finishing cones of yarn I know I'll never get this yarn back as I'm not sure where it was from in the first place.

When I was at university I was gifted many cones of yarn. Once when I went away with my parents to Robin Hoods Bay we met a lovely lady called Julia whose daughter was a knitwear designer who didn't design any more. She sold us about 300 cones of yarn for a very reasonable price of £150.00, it is this yarn I'm still using. I am quite lucky in the fact that I've so many fabulous yarns to chose from without having much out lay.

Now I've said that I'm off to the knitting and stitching show at the NEC in September and I've really promised my self I won't go mad. I do need some fasteners for my corsages and I'd also like lots of crimps for my jewellery and some nice fasteners for necklaces. Then if I've been very good I might look at the wool.

I almost forgot I'll be buying beads for wedding jewellery I've been commissioned to make for a friends wedding next spring that's if she decides on a dress design and fabric before I go. Its very exciting I've never been commissioned to make jewellery before.

No comments: