Saturday 20 October 2007

I'm the slowest knitter in the world ever


I've discovered this week as it says in my title I'm the slowest knitter in the world ever.

I'm knitting my rowan jumper and I'm a bit further on but not much it's taken me a fortnight, of and on, to knit the back.

I'm so out of practise knitting actual garments by hand I'd forgotten how long it takes.

I know I'm going to love this jumper when its finished and it will fit into my wardrobe seamlessly. However, why isn't it finished yet? and why can't I be more patient?

I'm making myself a new jumper that no one else will own, in yarn I love, yet part of me thinks is it really worth it? and how much wear will I get out of it?

I can go to Sainsburys after work on Monday and pick up a new jumper for £15. Which will be unusual enough to cause people to comment but not to expensive for my budget.

Then I also know that's whats wrong with the way we buy clothing today. The market is saturated with cheaply produced clothing made abroad in sweat shops, that is completely disposable.

I know I can quite easily buy a new item of clothing or two pairs of shoes every time I go shopping. I think I've got to stop doing this and start making clothes I really love instead of buying clothes without really thinking of the origin.

I know that I'm never going to be able to support myself knitting clothes by hand but I do know my wardrobe will be much better off for it.

If only I can be patient enough.



No comments: